Knoyle Country Estate comprises one of the largest landholdings in the golden triangle of Burradoo, set on 4 ½ acres, within one of the Highlands oldest gardens with rolling lawns and many rare and beautiful species of trees.
A documented part of Australian history, Knoyle House was built in the 1880's as a prized country retreat for the Fairfax publishing family. now lovingly conserved and adapted to today's living, the vast estate also encompasses a unique collection of historic buildings including The School House, The Mews Stable and The Gardeners Cottage.
A much-admired and astoundingly peaceful property, Knoyle Country Estate is an exceptional holding on a grand scale spanning over 18,000 square-metres, offering great flexibility and multiple possibilities. It's perfectly suited for use as an imposing and luxurious private family home with ample space for extended family and friends. Previously the property has been used as a conference centre, retreat and meditation centre.
There's a DA approval for 2 x 1 acre blocks and the property could also be further subdivided creating four separate parcels if desired by the new owner (STCA). Currently, several buildings are offered as residential rental properties.
• Designed by London architect Maurice Adams, for Charles Fairfax, the grandson of Herald founder John Fairfax. Adams also drew plans for his Sydney estate, the renowned Queen-Anne revival historic property Caerleon in Bellevue Hill. Both properties offer fine examples of Queen Anne elements, with stone dressed brick walls, terracotta shingles, massive elaborate chimneys, decorative gables, balconies and bay windows
• Majestically sited on the highest point in Burradoo, Knoyle House is also architecturally and historically similar to another former Fairfax family estate, Elaine, one of Sydney Harbours most significant properties
• A variety of 8 grandly proportioned & light-filled formal living rooms, opening onto sun-drenched verandas and garden settings, to include several double living rooms
• Impressive entrance leading to a vast stair hall with sweeping cantilevered cedar staircase
• Detailed plaster arches and impeccably designed bay windows capture the age-old spectacular botanical garden devoted to rare and exotic trees
• Spacious country kitchen with adjoining scullery & informal sitting room
• 10 luxury bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 3 dressing rooms plus 4 powder rooms
• Original timber flooring and Australian cedar joinery
• Hydronic heating, full brick throughout, 13' ceilings
• A superb home of exceptional quality and irreplaceable craftsmanship offering a flexible floorplan lending itself to a multitude of uses
The Old School House
• Originally built to house and educate the students of Kincoppal-Rose Bay, this 2 storey substantial building has been cleverly used as an enchanting country home
• Featuring open plan living, soaring ceilings, original timber flooring, 4 generous bedrooms & 3 bathrooms
The Mews Stable
• An historic building of great charm and character originally built as a stable and carriage house for the Fairfax family now transformed to a delightful family home
The Gardeners Cottage
• Adjacent to the Old School House is the Gardeners Cottage. This generous apartment offers a multiple of uses with open plan living, spacious light filled rooms and easy access to outdoor entertaining and garden areas
• A further original building offers potential to create additional accommodation or extensive garaging to house a considerable car collection
The Celebrated Garden
• Irreplaceable historically significant park-like gardens laid out by the Fairfax family featuring many rare specimen trees, lush green lawns and beautiful flower gardens
• Comprising unmatched century-old trees, mature plantings and full arch canopies
• An incredibly rare permanent 7-level private labyrinth - a rewarding source of relaxation, refreshment and insight
• Bore and garden irrigation
For Sale by Expressions of Interest with Dunne Real Estate Southern Highlands
Contact Sandie Dunne 0414 243 352 or Karl Zabel 0432410275 to arrange a private inspection.